2014 Triumph THUNDERBIRD COMMANDER
Stock Image: Lava Red/Silver Frost
Laid back and relaxed, the Thunderbird is exactly the way a cruiser should be.
But, on top of that, Triumph engineering has added superior performance and handling without ever diluting what the Thunderbird is all about.
The engine itself is unique in its class, a classic Triumph parallel twin. And the styling is pure cruiser with sweeping lines, low seat and high bars.
But like any Triumph it's highly practical too, and perfectly feasible as an everyday commuter. A long, low, fat-tired, chromed up, everyday commuter.
- Bodywork: We made sure that the Thunderbird's authentic classic style lives on. With a long, low stance, fat rear tire, teardrop tank and high bars. By keeping it pure, uncluttered, clean and elegant, with plenty of chrome, it still looks exactly how a cruiser should look.
- Engine: The Thunderbird’s handsome engine is large enough to dominate the bikes appearance, with a sophisticated black finish contrasting with its chromed covers. Fat exhaust pipes and machined cooling fin edges add to the style, which continues even on the fuel injection throttle bodies.
- Instruments: The instruments are set into a tank-mounted chromed pod, leaving the top yoke area lean to show off the array of polished aluminium and chrome, so it looks as great to you as it does to the people watching it pass by.
- Power: The Thunderbird’s 1597cc parallel twin engine kicks out a muscular 86PS and a thumping 146Nm of torque at just 2750rpm.
- Configuration: Full of modern engineering, we added double overhead camshafts and a crankshaft with 270 degree firing intervals, to give you an engine with authentic cruiser character. Whilst the fuelling is looked after by a sequential fuel injection system and progressive throttle linkage which ensures the engine delivers its torque exactly the way you expect.
- 6 Speed Gear Box: The transmission uses a six-speed gearbox with a tall top ratio for relaxed highway cruising and exceptional fuel efficiency.
- Belt Drive: We’ve incorporated high tech materials in the belt and pulleys so you get a drive with an exceptionally long life even compared with other modern bikes. And almost zero maintenance requirements. It's also smooth, quiet and helps keep the rear of the bike clean.
- Frame: We gave the Thunderbird a twin spine steel frame that's exceptionally stiff. Coupled with well-dampened suspension this gives you a plush ride and exceptionally stable, easy handling for a bike in this class.
- Suspension: With their 47mm diameter and 120mm of travel, the forks are carefully matched by our suspension specialists to the pair of chromed rear shocks. And, their 5-position adjustable spring preload allows you to adjust them to suit the way you want to ride.
- Brakes: We made sure that the brakes are well up to the Thunderbird's wide range of capabilities. A pair of four-piston calipers up front provide sufficient power to cope with a fully loaded bike, high speeds and mountainous terrain. You’ll find they offer loads of feedback too.
- Wheels and Tires: The Thunderbird gets handsome, five spoke cast alloy wheels, fitted with Metzeler tires.
- Handling: We built the Thunderbird to give cruiser riders a bike that handles as well as it looks. That’s why it steers so well, especially at low speeds despite the forks being raked out at a cool-looking 32 degrees. The Thunderbird is surprisingly agile too with enough ground clearance for decent lean angles and an engaging ride when the road gets interesting.
- Seat Height: The seat is very low at just 700mm and the cruising position is relaxed and spacious, with the footrests positioned forward to keep you comfortable without being too much of a stretch. The low seat also means that it's easy to plant both feet firmly on the ground. So no matter what your height is, you can confidently maneuver even at low speeds.
- Riding Position: As you’d expect, the bars are pulled back and wide, so the grips are exactly where you want them. Giving you a relaxed stance and the high levels of control you want on a bike of this size.
- Immobilizer: Just in case your Thunderbird attracts the wrong kind of attention, we’ve added a high technology security system. It detects a microchip in the key body and if it's not present the ignition system is disabled. This prevents a copy of the correct key being used to switch the bike on.
- Instruments and Computer: We know you might spend a lot of time on your Thunderbird so we’ve included high levels of equipment. An on-board computer in the tank-mounted instrument pod which includes a clock, range to empty, twin trip meters and a fuel gauge. As well as a neat, compact rev counter and electronic self cancelling indicators. Everything’s right where you need it.
- Tank Range: On a big bike like this we were able to fit a 22 litre tank. So, along with the high efficiency engine, the Thunderbird has an exceptional fuel range, at 56mph the Thunderbird will give you more than 67mpg. In fact, it’s easily capable of more than 200 miles between refueling stops.
- ABS: We fit ABS to the Thunderbird as standard. So it never loses it’s cool.
- Our confidence provides you with a two-year unlimited mileage warranty on your new Triumph and Genuine Accessories. Alongside the knowledge that we give you a 12 month unlimited mileage warranty on replacement parts.
- The Thunderbird carries 6,000 mile (10,000km) service intervals.
- Type: Liquid-cooled, DOHC, Parallel-twin, 270 deg. firing interval
- Capacity: 1597cc
- Bore: 103.8 mm
- Stroke: 94.3 mm
- System: Multipoint sequential electronic fuel injection, progressive linkage on throttle
- Exhaust: Chromed twin-skin stainless steel 2 into 1 into 2, tandem large-volume catalysts in centralized catbox, chrome-plated
- Final Drive: Toothed Belt
- Clutch: Wet, multi-plate
- Gearbox: 6-speed, helical 2nd - 6th
- Oil Capacity: 1.1 gal.
- Frame: Tubular Steel, twin spine
- Swingarm: Twin-sided, steel
- Front Wheels: Cast aluminum alloy 5-spoke 19 x 3.5 in
- Rear Wheels: Cast aluminum alloy 5-spoke 17 x 6 in
- Front Tire: 120/70 R19
- Rear Tire: 200/50 R17
- Front Suspension: Showa 47 mm forks. 120 mm travel
- Rear Suspension: Showa chromed spring twin shocks with 5 position adjustable preload. 95 mm rear wheel travel
- Brakes Front: Twin 310 mm floating discs. Nissin 4-piston fixed calipers, ABS
- Brakes Rear: Single 310 mm disc. Brembo 2-piston floating caliper, ABS
- Instrument Display and Functions: Analogue speedometer featuring integrated rev counter, scroll button on handlebars, LCD trip computer, fuel gauge and clock
- Length: 2340 mm
- Width Handlebars: 880
- Height without Mirror: 1120 mm
- Seat Height: 700 mm
- Wheelbase: 1615 mm
- Rake: 32 deg.
- Trail: 151 mm
- Tank Capacity: 5.8 gal.
- Wet Weight: 339 kg
- Max Power EC: 86PS @ 4850
- Max Torque EC: 146NM @ 2750
- Urban: 38 US mpg
- 56 mph/90 kph: 56 US mpg
- Engine Type
- DOHC, Parallel-twin, 270 deg. firing interval
- Bore and Stroke
- 103.8 x 94.3 mm
- Fuel System
- Multipoint sequential electronic fuel injection, progressive linkage on throttle
- Front Suspension
- Showa 47 mm forks. 120 mm travel
- Rear Suspension
- Showa chromed spring twin shocks with 5 position adjustable preload. 95 mm rear wheel travel
- Front Brakes
- Twin 310 mm floating discs. Nissin 4-piston fixed calipers, ABS
- Rear Brakes
- Single 310 mm disc. Brembo 2-piston floating caliper, ABS
- Front Tire
- 120/70 R19
- Rear Tire
- 200/50 R17
- 1615 mm
- Seat Height
- 700 mm
- 32 deg.
- 151 mm
- Fuel Capacity
- 5.8 gal.
- Urban: 38 mpg; 56 mph/90 kph: 56 mpg
- Dry Weight
- Curb Weight: 339 kg
- Final Drive
- Toothed Belt
- Standard: Analog
- Lava Red/Silver Frost, Caspian Blue/Phantom Black
- 2 Year unlimited mileage